Saturday, February 2, 2013

Soup's on the stove

Daily Gratitude


I'm shining today because I'm grateful for:
  • Blue nail polish. I know, seems silly. Yet, it brings a pop of color on a grey day. Little joys such as this really do make me happy. 
  • Train, the neighbor dog. OMG! He's the most beautiful, loving creature. Train is a pit-bulldog mix. His brindle coat is healthy and shiny. Eddie dog and Train tear around faster than lightening, yipping and barking with joy. Train is bigger than his buddy Eddie, but he is careful to not hurt him. When I come home, Train greets me with a big bark and lots of tail wagging. I love him.
  • Have I told you how much I love my bed? I have, haven't I. Well, I do. And, today I'm grateful for it again. 

Soup's on the Stove


It's a cold February afternoon and soup sounded like a good idea. Mmmmm, it was a fantastic idea! Before I forget what I put in the pot, I thought I'd share it here.


Cold Winter Soup


2 lbs. stew meat
2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 vegetable bouillon cube (no MSG)
32 oz. vegetable broth 
14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
3 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups kale, coarsely chopped
3.8 oz. can sliced black olives
15 oz. can kidney beans
Salt to taste

In a large pot, quickly brown the stew meat in olive oil. Toss in the onion and garlic to saute. Add bouillon and broth. Stir to break up bouillon cube. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, and kale. Turn down the heat to simmer and let cook for a couple of hours. Check that there is plenty of liquid. You may need to add a bit. Thirty minutes or so before serving, add black olives and kidney beans. Add salt as needed.


My tummy was so happy! I added an apple for a perfect lunch.


If I was serving it for dinner, I'd make up a batch of home baked bread or herbed biscuits to serve along side the soup. A nice green salad would do nicely as well.

Cold wintry weather is hot, hearty soup weather. It sure felt homey having soup on the stove!

No comments:

Post a Comment