Thursday, February 7, 2013

Little birds everywhere

Daily Gratitude


I'm shining today because I'm grateful for:
  • My daughter's parking ticket. Really? Yes! It's from the university she's attending. To me it's a reminder that she's doing really awesome things and has a plan she's pursuing. Now, the ticket itself... I'm sending it to her! 
  • The geese honking in the early morning. While walking Eddie dog, a bunch of noisy geese flew loudly overhead. I think they were making plans for a spring party at the lake. 
  • Nice people on the freeway. Now, you don't hear that too often, do you? Yesterday a man beeped his horn at me while I was driving along, minding my own business. He had a note pushed up to his window saying, "low air in front right tire." Nice, huh? I thought so. 

Funny thing about birds...

My bestie, Debbie, and I are always on the prowl for vintage treasures. Yesterday we stopped by Roost, one of our favorite places. And, what do you know, I found a bird treasure. What better thing to get than a cloche with a bird on it!


It's no surprise to most of my friends that I'd get another bird for the house. It was pointed out by first Debbie, then later my friend Genia, that I have birds all over my home. Which is a crack up, because I suffer from a mild case of ornithophobia. Hmmmm... 

I guess this bird collecting was started by my grandmother and perpetuated by mom. Grandma loved her forest and garden birds. Each spring, mom eagerly awaits the return of her precious blue birds. Apparently, I have continued the legacy.


Looking around my home, birds nest in every room. Here's one that sits in my kitchen window, a friend guarding my plant and wishing it good things. 


This darling chickadee with acorns was one of grandma's favorite birds. When she passed, I was so pleased to have it. The piece reminds me of the times spent in her garden, the light trill of chickadee calls on the breeze.


This graceful, golden bird sits on my mantle, a treasure found at the Funky Junk show in Sandpoint, Idaho. 


Here sits a happy yellow bird. He's happy because a sweet piece of art by Cori Dantini is his companion. 


Grandma's brother brought this little guy home from Russia. He's only about 1.5" tall. A special treasure for his bird-loving sister. He is snuggled in a special spot in my china hutch.


Bird art is on the walls as well. This picture of a trio of birds is one of a set that I love dearly. The rusts, copper and grays are beautiful against my olive green walls. 


Here is one of my favorite thrift store finds! The bright orange vase and lively colors of the blue bird and flowers bring a pop of energy to a bookshelf. 


Two resting birds add to the sense of tranquility in my spa-like bathroom. Here they enjoy the morning light in the stained glass window. 


The plate that hangs in my bedroom is pretty vintage Paragon tea ware. It was produced as a souvenir for the 1930 birth of Princess Margaret Rose. Next to it, a chippy candle sconce from a darling boutique.


One of a pair of perched birds who guard my kitchen. I love how they make the entry way special.


Here a bird, there a bird...


Hmmmm..... there are quite a few more as I look around the place. I think I'll save them for another day. But, Debbie and Genia are right, there ARE little birds everywhere! 

3 comments:

  1. Shelly, I adore your bird collection! Very sweet!
    Thank you for sharing your home with us.
    Xo
    Glad & Celia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! Love that you like my little birds :D Please come again!

      ~S

      Delete