Thursday, January 3, 2013

In the waiting

Daily Gratitude

I'm shining today because I'm grateful for:
  • Beautiful, crystalline sunshine. The air is crackling with frigid energy today. Add a little coffee, and we have the perfect morning!
  • My sister, Leslie. What an amazing woman! She has creative talent like an artesian spring, endless generosity of heart for her family and community, and a bright mischievousness in her eyes that delights. I'm so blessed to have her as my dear friend.
  • Dreams of inspiration. I love nighttime and daytime dreams. Do you journal them? I do!

A thought or two about waiting...


Time is very slow for those who wait
Very fast for those who are scared
Very long for those who lament 
Very short for those who celebrate
But for those who love time is eternal
~William Shakespeare


Being the action-oriented person that I am, waiting doesn't come naturally to me. It's been an uncomfortable place, making me feel passive and inept. I've felt much like this definition of waiting:
intransitive verb do nothing expecting something to happen: to stay in one place or do nothing for a period of time until something happens or in the expectation or hope that something will happen
There was too much of this kind of waiting in my life in last year. The pining, anxious, worrisome type. When will work come? How will I honor my financial commitments? What will happen to the goals and dreams I believe are right? Who will come to love and cherish me? There's nothing wrong or bad about these questions, rather it's the attitude or place from where I asked them.

Crazy! I am a woman of alacrity, meeting the world with an eager smile and a ready attitude! What happened to the bright, shiny girl who loves challenges and change? Waiting. Waiting did it. Yet, upon contemplation, I remembered that there are different kinds of waiting. 

In the new year, I am going to honor the every-ready quality of temperament that God gave me. There's still some waiting ahead. However, I've decided to embrace this version of waiting:
intransitive verb be ready or available: to be ready or available for somebody to take or use
Yes! I can turn a heavy, burdensome thing into something good, something powerful. And, as an added measure, I'm committing to an extra dose of love. Loving the place I am in, being in the ready for challenge and change.

I'm thinking this new year is gonna be amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment