Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I want feel like I'm in an Italian movie

Daily Gratitude

I'm shining today because I'm grateful for:
  • The treasure of being loved. I have wealth beyond measure when I examine the richness of my friendships. Truly, there's nothing more precious than being cared for by the people in my life.
  • Generous gestures. Today I was treated to a wonderful woman's networking luncheon, then to a great cup of coffee in a really cool place. Nice!
  • Prep time to do His plan. God doesn't just push us out into a situation without giving us time to get ready. I appreciate the training and preparation process.
On Grey Days Like Today...

This foggy, chilly time of year makes me want to snuggle in with a cozy blanket, a rich cup of robust coffee, and a few biscotti. Escaping to Italy is on the agenda by way of a great chick flick set in bright, sunny Tuscany, Liguria, Campania, or Veneto. Here are a few I fall into every year at this time.


I want to feel like I'm in an Italian movie

or, Per il vostro divertimento!


This award-winning romance comedy film was directed by Silvio Soldini, and stars Licia Maglietta and Bruno Ganz. The story is about an Italian housewife who finds herself stranded during a family vacation. Instead of waiting for her controlling businessman husband, she hitchhikes her way home, only to impulsively detour to Venice. There she finds accommodations with a restaurant maitre d' and soon finds herself enjoying her a life.

I love this movie because it's quirky and so different. Yet, the yearning to live one's own life, fulfilling secret dreams transcends cultures. Most any woman who has a husband and children to tend can escape in this story, even if it's just for an hour or so.

Enchanted April

This film is an adaptation of Elizabeth von Arnim's 1922 novel, The Enchanted April. It was directed by Mike Newell, and stars Alfred Molina, Joan Plowright and Miranda Richardson. In the story four dissimilar women in 1920s England leave their damp and rainy environs to go on a holiday to a secluded coastal castle in Italy. The women come together at a castle and find rejuvenation in the tranquil beauty of their surroundings, rediscovering hope and love. The film was shot on location at Castello Brown in Portofino, Italy. This same castle was where the author of the book stayed in the 1920s.

Oh, to spend a month or two in an Italian castle! The wisteria and sunshine speak to my heart, as do the friendships that form between these women and the men they love. I never tire of this little gem.


This film is a 2000 Danish romantic comedy film written and directed by Lone Scherfig. The film stars Anders W. Berthelsen, Lars Kaalund and Peter Gantzler. Here we see Italy through the eyes of three Danish women as they meet for Italian lessons at the local community center. The class serves as a way of bringing various residents of the town together, each of whom is dealing with loss or pain, out of their loneliness and into interactions with other people. It's a film about fulfilling dreams.

Want to change everything you know about love? This movie is funny, spontaneous, heart-warming, and touching. It makes me laugh and feel good!

Under the Tuscan Sun

Under the Tuscan Sun is a romantic comedy drama film written, produced, and directed by Audrey Wells and starring Diane Lane. The film, set in Cortona between Tuscany and Umbria, is about a recently-divorced writer who buys a villa in Tuscany on a whim, hoping it will lead to a change in her life.

This one is my very most favorite. I have seen it at least ten times, maybe more. Can you say sunflowers, wine, love, and transformation?

File:Letters to juliet poster.jpg

This is an American romantic drama film starring Amanda Seyfried, Chris Egan, and Vanessa Redgrave. The story is about a young American woman who travels to the city of Verona, home of the star-crossed lover Juliet Capulet. She joins the "Secretaries of Juliet" who respond to letters to Juliet seeking advice about love. After answering one letter dated from 1957, she inspires its author to travel to Italy in search of her long-lost love.

Long lost love served up with wine, rolling hills, and letters. More, please!


This movie is a romantic drama film written for the screen and directed by Anthony Minghella. It won nine Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Staring Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche and Kristin Scott Thomas, the story is about a doomed and tragic romance set against the backdrop of World War II. In a field hospital in Italy, a nurse from Canada, is caring for a pilot who was horribly burned in a plane wreck; he has no identification and cannot remember his name, so he's known simply as "the English Patient," thanks to his accent.

Get comfortable and settle in, this one is long and winding. The lush and complex plot is worth every minute.

Yes, this grey time of year, when I'm missing sunshine and warm breezes, I pull out the movies and say, 

I just wanna feel like I'm in an Italian movie! 

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Italy... (*sigh*). Lovely post! And I'm so happy to find a list of movies to inspire me and give me that little bit of escapism we all need from time to time... I've seen Under the Tuscan Sun (love it, and have the DVD), Letters to Juliet (I'm a big romantic) and (years ago) The English Patient. Will have to watch the other ones you suggest.

    Another one I enjoyed years ago was "Only You" with Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. Have you seen it? It's a love story (of course), and takes place, in part, in beautiful Positano. Mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping in! Yes,(*sigh*), sunny, beautiful, romantic Italy. Thanks for the added suggestion for my line-up. I do believe I've seen it, but many years ago. Let's add another sigh... Robert Downey, Jr... I think I need to run to the bakery and get a few choice biscotti, run by Red Box, then make a deep rich cup of cafe!

    ReplyDelete