Friday, October 19, 2012

I just want to be queen

Daily Gratitude

I'm shining today because I'm grateful for:
  • Little things, like the pretty orange color of the candle on my coffee table, the sound of wind chimes on the deck, the three deer that ran across the road this morning, the hum of my refrigerator. All are little gifts.
  • I got a check for doing something I really enjoyed. Doing good work and being paid for it is nice!
  • Problem solving. God gave me a good, sound mind. He intended that I used it to figure stuff out. When He needs a problem solved, He gives it an extra boost, aka Divine Inspiration.  
Queen Bee Shelley
First grade many years ago....

The Making of a Little Queen


When I was in first grade the class put on a play for our parents. It was a story about a bee hive and the things that happen there. The details are pretty fuzzy, except that I clearly remember I was cast as the queen bee. Was I ever proud! In my memory, I was draped in a royal cape and wore an elegant crown. I even had a golden scepter and sat on a throne. I believed that I looked a lot like this...


No actor has ever played their part more earnestly. I took my role seriously, being the very best queen I could. Miss Bagwell, my teacher, praised me for my excellent work and I'm pretty sure that all the other kids said I did a great job. At least, that's what I remember...

It made an impression.

That's when I decided I liked the queen gig. Once the queen bug bit, I started learning about other queens. Ester of the Bible, Cleopatra, and Good Queen Bess (aka Elizabeth) were important to me because they were strong and intelligent women. They were worthy role models.

As a young girl I realized that being a queen is no easy task. It entails much more than wearing regal clothes and jewels, going to important ceremonies, and having people wait on you hand and foot. There's a queendom to manage, don't you know. And, with that are many responsibilities such as running a country, leading armies, being the model of decorum for all of your subjects, and granting royal favors on worthy folk.

This idea of being a queen didn't come out of self-importance or arrogance. I just related to the role. As an adult I believe every woman can be a queen. Now, don't you be nay-saying me here. Every woman can and should be the ruler of her own life. If things go beyond that, great. However, first and foremost is the call to reign with dignity and authority in the place where were are planted - in our homes, the places we work, and in our social context.

Sometime soon, I plan to spend time here exploring the attributes of the queens that have influenced me. You'll see why I think its an amazing thing to live into our regal potential. Until then, take a moment to check out this great website: Queen of Your Own Life. These ladies assert that being a queen is an attitude, a way of life and a call to action for grown up women everywhere. They extend an invitation to join them in celebrating life. You have absolutely nothing to lose and only great friendship, thrilling adventure, true love and deep satisfaction to gain when you declare yourself Queen of Your Own Life.

I hope you join me, as well as the ladies of Queen of Your Own Life, when I say:

I just want to be queen!


No comments:

Post a Comment