Friday, November 9, 2012

My books are my friends

Daily Gratitude

I'm shining today because I'm grateful for:
  • God's correction. King David said he was glad for His correction, and I used to not understand that. Yet, as I get older I realize that God's correction keeps us true, honest, and loving to others. It's way better than His discipline!
  • Fall and winter merging. This morning the fall leaves are covered with a light layer of white powder. It's beautiful.
  • When I think of the thousands of people on the east coast that are displaced, cold, and frustrated, I am all the more thankful for my warm home and cozy bed. Truly, I am blessed!

I have a few books


Well, maybe more than a few.


While I've been a voracious reader since I was a child, it wasn't until I was a young adult that I began to appreciate the beauty of books published around the turn of the last century. Since then I have gathered many lovely volumes.

I love these beautiful stories and the works of art that cover them. Most are bound in decorated fabric, some are actually tooled leather. Not all of them are in perfect shape, but I marvel at how well preserved they are for being well over 100 years old.


Here's a beautiful edition of the Chautauqua Girls at Home that was given to a young woman named Lou Taylor. Her aunt Avery gave it to her as a Christmas gift in 1897. The cloth cover is worn just a bit, otherwise it's in wonderful condition.


Isn't this one a hoot? Wanted- A Matchmaker. A holiday story about wanting a husband! This edition features a beautiful Armstrong design on the boards and every page is illustrated with a lavish boarder. 


Chattie B. Cahill inscribed this lovely edition of Uncle Tom's Cabin in February of 1900. I have 20 or so books that were Ms. Cahill's. She had wonderful taste in her reading material. Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate information about this specific printing.


Many years back, my father and I were roaming the hills of the Palouse when we can upon an estate sale at an old farm. Dad found several treasures. And, so did I - this collection of Tom Swift adventure books.


Finding a complete collection that's in good condition is like hitting the mother lode! This set of Master Pieces of Fiction was a great score from my friend's salvage shop. The set was published in 1904 and included everyone from Charles Dickens to Nathaniel Hawthorne, Edgar Allan Poe, Rudyard Kipling, Boccaccio, George Eliot, Emile Zola, and more. I wonder is she realized what she had!


My step-mom gave me a box full of these funny, yet delightful pulp fiction books from the 1930's, 40's and 50's. They are pretty tame compared to the romance novels of today, but in their time they were quite racy. I especially like the one titled "Professional Lover."


Books are tucked around in nooks and crannies in my home. Here, a random collection of beautifully dressed friends, I mean books, sits on the mantle of my fireplace. I just love the colors!


Some of my book-friends are ornate and beautiful. Others are hearty and well-worn. All are a delight in some way. There are days that I will deliberately visit my books. I grab a cup of coffee and walk from room to room to remember them. It's a pleasurable exercise. I touch the covers, running my fingers over the embossed designs. The wonderful smell that comes from opening the pages often compels me to stop to read a page or two. Not every book has in inscription. When I find one, it's like connecting with the previous owner. I like to think of them lovingly penning their name, noting the town where they lived, and "stamping" the date that they came to possess the volume. 

I wonder if Cleopatra felt that way about the papyrus scrolls in the Royal Library of Alexandra. I do believe Caesar's accidental burning of the world's largest and most significant library would have been a real deal breaker for me!  And, surely Queen Elizabeth treasured the many volumes of classical works and Psalms she had translated and ornately bound. As well as her copies of the works of Shakespeare, Spenser, Sir Philip Sidney, and Christopher Marlowe.

It would be a tedious undertaking to look at all of my old books today. I just wanted to talk about a few of them, because they bring me such joy. And, I wanted you to know that...

My books are my friends. 

(P.S. See my Pinterest board where I pin loads of cool books - Books are my friends)


No comments:

Post a Comment